Mindfulness Training for Educators
This program is designed to help educators establish their own mindfulness practice and bring the research-proven benefits of mindfulness skills to young people in educational and clinical settings. It supports and guides the cultivation of mindfulness meditation from the first steps of establishing a mindfulness practice to sharing the gift with others.
The program offers basic training in mindfulness for teachers, counselors and school administrators who work with middle and high school students (grades 6-12).
Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation
Meditation is an ancient spiritual practice that has remarkable practical benefits for both body and mind. This course offers step- by-step guidance for developing a personal meditation practice using mindfulness. It presents meditation in a clear and straight forward way. Participants receive a map of the inner world and directions on how to navigate the world within. Each class offers: basic instruction in the techniques of mindfulness meditation that come from various spiritual traditions; the psychological principles and spiritual underpinnings of the practice; and clear guidance for bringing the fruits of the meditation practice into everyday life.
- Orientation Retreat: Saturday, September 16 – 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- 10 Monday classes: 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- September 18, 25, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20, 27, 2017
- Instructor: Fr. Joe Mitchell
Professional Application - Mindfulness in Education
Participants take part with the general public in a 10-week Beginning Meditation course to learn the basic skills of mindfulness. The additional 5-session training segment offers JCPS educators guidance on how to bring mindfulness practices to a professional application in education. Collegial sharing, exposure to rich resources, and current research will support this application. These classes are open to K-12 educators who are currently enrolled in Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation and/or those who have previously completed Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation. This prerequisite is imperative as personal practice in mindfulness meditation is foundational for a teacher’s professional application in education
- Up to 12 hours of JCPS PD or EILA credit are available.
- 5 Monday classes: Sept 25, Oct 2 , Oct 16, Nov 6, Nov 20, 2017
- 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- Instructor: Donna Benton, Practical Living Specialist for JCPS
Information and Registration
- Orientation Retreat: Saturday, September 16 - 9:00 - 3:30 p.m.
- 10 Mondays Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation classes: 7:00-8:30 p.m. Sept 18, 25, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 30, Nov. 6, 13, 20, 27, 2017
- 5 Mondays Professional Application-Mindfulness in Education: Sept 25, Oct 2 , Oct 16, Nov 6, Nov 20, 2017, from 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- Instructors: Joseph Mitchell and Donna Benton
- Tuition: $175
- For more information, contact Natasha Burrowes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502.452.2749
Coming soon! Summer Session--Mindfulness: Personal Practice, Professional Application for Educators. June 5, 2017. Dates TBD. Check back to our website for more information.
Check the Class below that you are registering for.
This transaction is secure. By registering, you indicate that you understand and accept our refund policy