Med 1 - Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation
Cultivating a Relaxed, Calm and Clear Mind
Meditation is an ancient spiritual practice that has remarkable practical benefits for both body and mind, especially helping to reduce stress. This class offers step-by-step guidance for developing a personal meditation practice using mindfulness. It presents meditation in a clear and straightforward way. Participants receive a map of the inner world and directions on how to navigate the world within. Each class offers: basic instruction in the techniques of mindfulness meditation that come from various spiritual traditions; the psychological principles and scriptural underpinnings of the practice; and clear guidance for bringing the fruits of the meditation practice into everyday life.
- 21 hours of instruction – 6 hour retreat, 10 1.5 hour weekly classes
- Orientation Retreat – two options: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 9:00 am –3:30 pm OR Saturday, September 14, 2019, 9:00 am –3:30 pm
- 10 classes: September 16, 23, 30, October 7, 14, 28, November 4, 11, 18, 25, 2019
- 3 options: Mondays 10:00 –11:30 am OR Mondays 1:00–2:30 pm OR Mondays 7:00–8:30 pm
- Instructor: Fr. Joe Mitchell, CP
- Course fee: $185; $200 after August 29, 2019. Some scholarships are available upon request.
We offer a free 60-minute workshop with an introduction to theory and practice of mindfulness meditation, as well as its physical, psychological and spiritual benefits. Try our workshop to learn more.
- “I would highly recommend the introduction to mindfulness meditation course to everyone. It has had a profound effect on me and how I view and handle all aspects of life.” – Jane Morreau, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Brown-Forman Corporation
- “Most powerful course I've ever taken! I learned how to clear my mind and make a path for my emotional intelligence to guide me. I'm healthier, happier and more productive.” – Barbara Sexton Smith, member of the Louisville-Jefferson County Metro Council
- “With weekly sessions to guide practice and inspiring daily messages, developing a regular meditation practice for calm and serenity has been natural and enriching.” – Linda Valentine, former Executive Director, Presbyterian Church (USA) and corporate attorney.
- “The Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation class launched me on a remarkable journey into an awareness of myself and the world around me, giving me a renewed sense of freedom and inner peace.” – Jim Wayne, member of the Kentucky House of Representatives
- “Taking the 10-week class provided an awakening on how to take the practice of mediation into being a strong, empathetic business leader.” – Dan Forte, Vice President for Programming and Events, Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts
- “The course made it easy to turn a mysterious concept mindfulness into a simple and generative practice that will serve me for a lifetime. I would recommend it to anyone!” – Tom Williams, lawyer at Stoll Keenon Ogden and co-chairman of the Partnership for a Compassionate Louisville
- “I'd recommend this class to anyone searching for a deeper meaning to their existence, more purpose to their daily activities, or simply peace amidst the general chaos of life.” – Brian Riendeau, Executive Director, Dare to Care Food Bank, Louisville, KY
- “The course was amazing and I highly recommend it, as it truly helped bring focus, clarity and peace of mind to my business and life.” – Joshua Rose, Attorney at Law, Abell Rose LLC
- “Mindful meditation has been truly revolutionary for me. I highly recommend this course for anyone wishing to develop a greater sense of internal serenity or a stronger understanding of self.” – Sarah Davasher-Wisdom, Chief Operating Officer for Greater Louisville, Inc.
- “Even if you have done meditation before, this wonderful class provides the opportunity to deepen your experience by learning from a master teacher. It brings mindfulness meditation alive with engaging and clear presentations.” – Cynthia Campbell, Pastor, Highland Presbyterian Church, Louisville, KY
- “This course on mindfulness meditation offers a beacon of hope for those who search for meaning. A balm for Earth and life itself.” – Marianne Welch, The Nature Conservancy’s Kentucky Chapter Board
- “The mindfulness meditation course offered by the Earth & Spirit Center has helped me in a compassionate and highly effective manner.” – Dr. Robb Shrader, M.D.
There are three ways to register for a program.
- Register by MAIL - download program brochure and registration form; mail form and payment to the Earth & Spirit Center
- Register by PHONE - call Earth & Spirit Center and make payment with credit card
- Register ONLINE - complete registration form below; make online payment with credit card