Mission: Mindfulness Mentors share mindfulness practices with Louisville’s underserved communities and support networks.
Our Work: While we believe our programs at the Earth & Spirit Center have an impact on the personal and interpersonal lives of our students, we know there are many people for whom our classes are inaccessible. To address this gap, we have developed the Mindfulness Mentors, an all-volunteer program that teaches mindfulness practices and compassionate action to some of Louisville’s most marginalized members of our community – youth and adults experiencing homelessness, emotional or physical disabilities, the foster care or justice systems, and others in highly disadvantaged environments. We offer this program to staff of organizations that serve underserved communities in Louisville as well.
Mindfulness Mentors introduce groups of participants to basic mindfulness practices that enable self-knowledge, cultivate compassion for self and others, reduce stress, and increase the capacity to learn and make decisions. We believe these practices will assist participants to build a foundation for living a balanced life and to connect with others. We have partnerships with Family Scholar House, Maryhurst Alternative School, Americana, Court Appointed Special Advocate Association(CASA), and Nativity Academy.
Working in teams, the mentors offer the training in ten weekly sessions, each with a range of experiential activities modified to meet the specific needs of the group. Participants learn the benefits of mindfulness, gain a variety of tools to increase awareness, and support each other through the process of developing a new meditation practice.
Interested in becoming a Mindfulness Mentor?
To become a Mindfulness Mentor, one must:
- Complete one or more mindfulness meditation courses at the Passionist Earth & Spirit Center (or equivalent)
- Maintain a personal meditation practice for at least two years
- Demonstrate experience with or willingness to learn teaching skills
- Complete an application and background check
- Complete the Mindfulness Mentor 3-hour orientation
- Serve as a “class assistant” for one 10-week course with experienced mentors
Volunteer instructors will:
- Instruct at least one 10-week class per year
- Attend a monthly meeting for program feedback and ongoing training
- Report the number of the hours contributed and number of individuals participating
- Complete an annual self-evaluation and re-commitment process
Interested in bringing the Mindfulness Mentor’s to your community?
We’re looking for partners who:
-Work in and serve under resourced communities and neighborhoods
-Will recruit and support a group of participants (min 10- 12 per class)
-Want to learn more about bringing mindfulness practices into their organization
For information on becoming a potential site, contact 502-452-2749
St. Vincente de Paul Family Success Center - "We are grateful to the Earth & Spirit Center of Louisville for providing this invaluable experience for our kids. Aremed with new coping strategies and better focus, our kids are one step closer to obtaining the skills necessary to grow into successful adults."