Mindfulness Training for Educators
This program is designed to help educators establish their own mindfulness practice and bring the research-proven benefits of mindfulness skills to young people in educational and clinical settings. It supports and guides the cultivation of mindfulness meditation from the first steps of establishing a mindfulness practice to sharing the gift with others.
Who May Participate
The program offers basic training in mindfulness for teachers, counselors and school administrators who work with middle and high school students (grades 6-12).
Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation
Meditation is an ancient spiritual practice that has remarkable practical benefits for both body and mind. This course offers step-by-step guidance for developing a personal meditation practice using mindfulness. It presents meditation in a clear and straightforward way. Participants receive a map of the inner world and directions on how to navigate the world within. Each class offers: basic instruction in the techniques of mindfulness meditation that come from various spiritual traditions; the psychological principles and spiritual underpinnings of the practice; and clear guidance for bringing the fruits of the meditation practice into everyday life.
- Orientation Retreat: Saturday, February 10 – 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- 10 Wednesday classes: 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- February 14, 21, 28, March 7, 14, 28, April 4, 11, 18, 25, 2018
- Instructor: Fr. Joe Mitchell
Professional Application - Mindfulness in Education
Participants take part with the general public in a 10-week Beginning Meditation course to learn the basic skills of mindfulness. The additional 5-session training segment offers JCPS educators guidance on how to bring mindfulness practices to a professional application in education. Collegial sharing, exposure to rich resources, and current research will support this application. These classes are open to K-12 educators who are currently enrolled in Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation and/or those who have previously completed Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation. This prerequisite is imperative as personal practice in mindfulness meditation is foundational for a teacher’s professional application in education.
- Up to 12 hours of JCPS PD or EILA credit are available.
- 5 Wednesday classes: February 28, March 14, 28, April 11, 25, 2018
- 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- Instructor: Donna Benton, Practical Living Specialist for JCPS
Information and Registration
- Orientation Retreat: Saturday, February 10 - 9:00 - 3:30 p.m.
- 10 Wednesdays Meditation 1: Beginning Meditation classes: 7:00-8:30 p.m. February 14, 21, 28, March 7, 14, 28, April 4, 11, 18, 25, 2018
- 5 Wednesdays Professional Application-Mindfulness in Education: February 28, March 14, 28, April 11, 25, 2018, from 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- Instructors: Joseph Mitchell and Donna Benton
- Tuition: $185
- For more information, contact email@example.com or call 502.452.2749
Payment/Reimbursement policy for JCPS educators:
JPCS-affiliated participants will not be registered for class until a payment is received. Participants may register at their own expense to secure a space in the program and then be refunded by PESC once a check is received from JCPS. Participants are responsible for making sure their name is on the check and that the check is sent to PESC. Participants will bear full responsibility for the payment of the class and are subject to PESC’s general refund and cancellation policy until a check is sent from JCPS.